Wednesday 7 November 2007

You keep me coming but you just ask for more/The clocks ticking there’s a hole in my heart

Sunday 4 November. Oi, it’s a work day tomorrow, you can’t go out on the town! Oh yes I can. A trip down to Fibbers, I’ll only drink J2O, honest guvnor. Sadly I missed the first band but I will at least give them a mention, Untitled Music Project. Sorry chaps. I believe they trawled all the way from Birmingham for me to miss them.

Next up were The Dirtys. Very loud. The vocals were a bit Kings Of Leon and the lead guitarist was very good, although a tad too distorted for me. Clean up the sound and it could have been Slash on guitar. Really. I’m not sure who was who but the band (according to their MyFace page) consisted of Kyrill, Gee, Keiran, and Martyn.

Finally, the headliners, The Eighties Matchbox B-Line Disaster. Now these were VERY loud and VERY fast. Hailing from Brighton, this band have been around since 1999 and is currently comprised of: Guy McKnight (Vocals), Rich Fownes (Lead Guitar), Marc Norris (Rhythm Guitar), Sym Gharial (Bass), and Tom Diamantopoulo (Drums). Their weird name comes, apparently, from a car once driven by Winston Churchill, and a couple of the band members are Buddhists, so a nice bunch of chaps really. The music is psycho-billy punk, thrash played at the speed of bands like Trivium. Which goes a long way to explain why their first album, ‘Horse of the Dog’, only lasts for twenty five minutes although it still fits in ten songs. Guy is a scary… well guy. During their opening number (I’ve no idea what it was called) he hurled himself into the crowd where he tossed and turned for a few minutes before being gently deposited back on the stage. Nor was this the only time he went crowd-surfing, and in the middle of the act he came down amongst the audience, clambered over a railing (nearly kicking over a table full of glasses) and then made his way back again, singing/growling/shouting all the time. One of their songs, ‘Mister Mental’, was featured in the movie ‘Shaun of the Dead’, the film also contained posters and other references to the band. The band is working on their third album due for release in late 2007/early 2008. Sorry chaps but I won’t be parting with my plastic for that one.

Saturday 3 November and I’m up bright and early to start the Xmas shopping. OK, it’s a bit soon, but you’ve got to start sometime and when you can only shop at weekend it cuts down the options. My David Gilmour 2-disc DVD of ‘Remember That Night’ plops through my letterbox at lunchtime and I spend an extremely pleasant afternoon watching the whole, breathtaking performance. Brilliant.

Friday 2 November and a rare appearance by the full Hazzard County line up at the Old White Swan. Yes, Mostly Chris is in attendance and the place is heaving because Country John appears to have invited all his mates along. John Smiths is a no no, mine’s a pint of Black Sheep, thank you! The Hazzards are brilliant, as usual, a full on Dylanesque show plus an almost psychedelic version of ‘Who Do You Love’. This is how Friday nights should always be. Sadly, although the full line up is playing again next week, Whole Lotta Led are at Fibbers so I will only be catching the second half of the Hazzards. Well something’s gotta go.

No comments: